jueves, 27 de marzo de 2008

Exercises

26.1 Complete the sentences using can or be able to. Use can if possible; otherwise use be able to.

George has traveled a lot. He can speak four languages.
I haven’t been able to sleep very well recently.
Sandra can drive but she hasn’t got a car
I can’t understand Martin. I’ve never been able to understand him.
I used to be able to stand on my head but I cant do it now.
I can’t see you on Friday but I can meet you on Saturday morning.
Ask Catherine about your problem. She might be able to help you.


26.2 write sentences about yourself using the ideas in brackets.
1. (Something you used to able to do) I used to be able to sing well.
2. (Something used to be able to do) I used be able to drive well.
3. (Something you would like to be able to do) I’d like to be able to travel around the world.
4. (Something you have never been able to do) I’ve never been able to fly.


26.3 Complete the sentences with can / cant / could / couldn’t + one of these verbs:
Come eat hear run sleep wait
Im afraid I can’t come to your party next week.
When Tim was 16, he was a fast runner. He could run 100 metres in 11 seconds.
“Are you in a hurry?” “No, I’ve got plenty of time. I can wait
I was feeling sick yesterday. I couldn’t eat anything.
Can you speak up a bit? I cant hear you very well.
You look tired. Yes, I couldn’t sleep last night.


26.4 Complete the answers to the questions with was / were able to
A: Did everybody escape from the fire?
B: Yes. Although the fire spread quickly, everybody was able to escape.
A: Did you have difficulty finding Ann’s house?
B: Not really. Ann has given us good directions and we were able to arrive early.
A: Did you finish your work this afternoon?
B: Yes. There was nobody to disturb me, so I was able to finish it.
A: Did the thief get away?
B: Yes. No one realised what was happening and the thief was able to escape.


26.5 Complete the sentences using could / couldn’t / or was / were able to.
1. My grandfather was a very clever man. He could speak five languages.
2. I looked everywhere for the book but I couldn’t find it.
3. They didn’t want to come with us at first but we were able to persuade them.
4. Laura had hurt her leg and she couldn’t walk very well.
5. Sue wasn’t at home when I phoned but I could contact her at her office.
6. I looked very carefully and I could see a figure in the distance.
7. I wanted to buy some tomatoes. The first shop I went to didn’t have any but I could get some in the next shop.
8. My grandmother loved music. She could play the piano very well.
9. A girl fell into the river but fortunately we could rescue her.
10. I had forgotten to bring my camera so I wasn’t able to take any photographs.

No hay comentarios: